Our Montessori Approach to core skills (reading, writing and arithmetic), collaborative learning quests, and socratic discussion methods help students not only learn to know, but also develop a sense of who they are meant to be. Every student at Acton Academy believes they are on a Hero’s Journey for a special calling. A belief in one's own personal Hero's Journey provides Acton students with a purpose for being and a motivation to continue through setbacks and failures. Acton guides equip students with self-awareness, strategies to accomplish goals, and accountability, but only the individual can deliver the passion, grit, and execution needed to change the world.
Life Skills Concentrations at Acton Academy West Austin:
- Critical Thinking (the art of asking questions)
- Social fluidity (the ability to collaborate successfully in diverse groups)
- Independent reading (finding the love to read)
- Executive communications (creative writing + public speaking)
- Project Management (the ability to execute on a project with no clear instruction)
- Goal setting (both long and short term)
- Entrepreneurship and financial literacy (case studies adapted from the Acton MBA program)
- Who am I (finding your hero's journey)
This is a rigorous whole-child program. We measure our success based on student and parent satisfaction surveys, and third-party assessments to ensure rigor. This curriculum empowers students to become the best version of themselves.